Wednesday, February 01, 2006

State of the Union and other random thoughts

I boycotted the State of the Union tonight, not that I'm not concerned over the state of the country [i am], but ultimately, i figured GW was not gonna surprise me, but instead try to rehash his last 30 political speeches [which since I read two newspapers a day, i kinda keep up on what he rambles about lately] and convince whoever needs convincing that he [& his party/people] should keep running the country with 2006 elections looming.

Sad thing is [& I've had this intellectual discussion now with a few people], i don't think the Republicans will lose much ground this time around. Not because the R's deserve to stay there, but that the D's don't seem to put forth any good message or messenger that they can and will do better, which is the greatest shame on this generation of politicians.

Other thoughts - the Olympics are coming - do you care?
Honestly, other than hockey, I could care less who slides down the mountain fastest or pirouettes the prettiest. I do hope the Thai dude who is a professor at Drexel does well in the 15K [yeah thats right, Thailand has ONE winter olympian this year!]

Oscars - Brokeback Mountain! Brokeback Mountain! I guess I understand all the hype, but have you heard the whole - "first Oscar for a gay oriented film" crap, umm, have people forgotten Tom Hanks in Philadelphia?! I don't know, something about the hype being rammed down by the media makes me really root against it. I'm more incensed that Walk the Line didnt get a Best Picture nomination nod?! How can the lead actor and lead actress get named but not the picture?! Were their stellar performances NOT on the same screen as the rest of the film!?! Mind boggling. Also, where was Cinderella Man!? Paul Giamatti is getting a "make up call" by the Academy for them ignoring Sideways, but still, even Renee Z I thought deserved praise for that film, oh well, gives me something to rant about until March :P

Last thing - Fiefdoms - to anyone who works in a professional setting you'd have gotten a kick out of my office this week. Long story, short - our Finance area has like 15 people and yet 22 total cubes of space, plus two conference rooms and a cafeteria/coffee room. Well we may get forced on us some folks from a whole other dept to be dropped in those desks. Now they're not empty, mind you. My responsibilities and documentation I alone take like 2.5 cubes just in storage, and I'm not alone, there is stuff in I think 21 of the 22 cubes, but we may lose them.

Apparently,no big deal right, tough luck, box some shit up, send it to storage offsite and just deal right?

Wrong. I swear my 50+ year old controller has been acting like a fouryear old who's been threatened with having his toy taken from him. Its been downright farcical. And the public ranting!?! Whooeee! So much for keeping one's feelings to oneself. Its really been funny to watch, and an amusing exercise in mis=management, but then hehe, work wouldnt be what it is without that little detail.

Oh well, speaking of which time for bed...

night gang!
~F

3 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I only watched the SoU because I was enticed to a bar with friends and the Democratic Action! (SF Democratic Party) group. It wasn't so bad with a half-liter of Franziskaner.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger FINN said…

    Ah, but do you drink the Franziskaner before you vote too :P
    ~Finn

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    umm... I take the fifth.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home