Wednesday, January 11, 2006

What I learned today...

So my boss sends out a note today promoting his sons' hockey team, they're running a trip to see the Philadelphia Phantoms [minor league hockey - AHL] play.

No big deal, but I jumped on the web to check out the date/opponent thinking,hey maybe the hockey game is the same day as one of my beloved Wings Lacrosse games [turns out it isnt], BUT, when I was looking at the AHL Standings something caught my eye...

One of the teams is the...
Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights

Thats right Ak-Sar-Ben. I must have been mystified for a good minute or more thinking WTF is Ak-Sar-Ben?!

So I click the team link and I look for myself cause I've been to Omaha, NE [yay Karen] just this past August and I dont remember any Ak-Sar-Ben crap!?!

In the team history [see for yourself at theahl.com], Ak-Sar-Ben was a Depression era group of folks, civic leaders, etc., looking to keep Omaha alive and working during the Depression. Kind of neat, in a historical sort of way, but why Ak-Sar-Ben? Is this some secret Society like 'Knights of Columbus' or 'the Masons'?

Nope, do you know what it means? Its really dorky and funny after all....







Keep reading....







Ak-Sar-Ben is Nebraska spelled backwards!

Doh! Knock me over with a 2x4!
~Enjoy Finn

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh. Yeah a few of the gang that I worked with at the ball team went over to the hockey team. And both of them have either quit or been fired and it's only half way through the season. They're the number 3 hockey team in the city. (Behind UNO Hockey and the Omaha Lancers.) And yes, it is Nebraska spelled backwards.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home