Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Weekend Musings...

#1 - Oktoberfests are fun, but it'd been nicer with a sunny sky. Grey and dreary do not lend itself to enjoying hours of live music and bad beer [ugh, Bud].

However, while watching LoveSeedMamaJump perform, I saw a sight that brought a tear to my eye. The band played Dirty Deeds by AC/DC. And about 20 ft away through the crowd I see a Mom, Dad, and about 7 yr daughter enjoying the performance. Nothing unusual there, right? Except, this little 7yr old girl, was singing along with the band, and she knew all the words! She was grooving, gettin down with her bad self!

Now thats what I call Good Parenting! AC/DC! A 7yr old girl! Ah, if only she were 27 and not 7.

Then, last song of the set, a true show stopper, the band played Journey! And this girl/woman gets on her boyfriends shoulders, and what is she wearing? That's right a circa 1984 white Journey concert t-shirt! Brought a second tear to my eye!

#2 - Beyond that enjoyed my weekend immensely. Thanks to all those who called to wish me a Happy B-day. I was trying to hide it. I didnt tell Delta Chi Jeff who road tripped down with me. I didnt tell Kadira, Tina, or Crafty from the Capital crew with whom I partied all weekend, UNTIL, my kid sister called me while we were all in the hotel room chillin between bar runs. You know the situation, your ring tone is set too loud [cause I was at an Oktoberfest!] and then you get a call in a quiet room and you feel like EVERYONE can hear both sides of your conversation?!

I figured shit, the gig is up, they had to of heard my sister wishing me a Happy B-day, so I told them once I got off the phone. Oops Wrong decision. They hadnt heard! And were pretty peeved I didnt tell them, but ah well. I just didnt want the day to be all about me getting old.

I save that for you my faithful readers :P

#3 - Lastly, I subscribe to the Widener University Philadelphia Speaker Series with Ayana. They bring seven major names [authors, politicians, historians, etc] about one a month to give a speech downtown in Philly and they take written questions from the audience. If your town or local university has something similar, go to it. I've learned so much from people who I wouldnt go hear speak. Tonights speaker was Elie Weisel. He's a Holocaust survivor. His talk was a lot better than I thought it would be, but most fascinating to me was his insights on losing touch with God. I mean here's a guy who survived Auschwitz! Now thats a reason to give up God altogether, but he admitted that though it took a while, he had regained his faith, with an optimistic attitude like he has, he said it was only a matter of time.

But he also spoke of the Bible, and how Job through all his tribulations isn't worried about him or his family losing touch with God. No. Job's fear is that God is actually indifferent to or about us. It just really struck a chord with me. Especially in light of so much that has happened recently I suppose.

Anyways, on to the next big weekend - NYC, and Alex's B-day bash!

TTYL
~Finn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home